There never seems to be enough time for anything, and if you’re moving, sometimes you’ll wish you had a time machine. Luckily, we do this for a living, letting us make very accurate estimates as to the number of man-hours our clients could require.
Of course, the amount of time it takes to move varies based on the home. What follows are some general timelines based on the size of the space and the amount of stuff most likely found within them!
Quick And Easy Guidelines
It’s always good to start your move as soon as you’ve sold the home or bought a new one. In the lead-up, collect enough boxes and other moving materials and begin packing. If you need us only for loading and unloading the truck within the city, here are some rough parameters:
- A studio or one-bedroom takes about 2-3 hours
- A two-bedroom home takes between 3-5 hours
- A three to four-bedroom home takes around 7 hours
- Five or more bedrooms will require 8 to 10 hours
If we factor in professional packing, the guidelines expand to the following:
- A studio or one-bedroom can take 4 – 7 hours
- A two-bedroom home can take 6 – 10 hours
- A three to four-bedroom home can take 12 – 14 hours
- Five or more bedrooms will require 14 – 20 hours
These figures are very general and based on the amount of labour and time typically required for a move. We use them to give you an accurate quote, but your moving situation might need more or less time, and may not include other services like packing boxes.
What Factors Determine The Length Of A Move?
There are other factors involved in a move, however, that may speed up or slow down the process. Here are a few other moving considerations besides apartment size to keep in mind. How long your move takes will be affected by many different factors, including:
- The number of boxes you have and whether you need us to pack for you
- The amount of furniture, how big each piece is, and how much assembly or disassembly is needed
- Accessibility to the moving truck – how far does our team have to walk to load and unload the truck? This includes the flights of stairs to navigate and access to an elevator
- The weather conditions – precipitation can mean we have to move a little slower for safety
- The number of fragile items you move – electronics, antiques, collectibles, and artwork all have to be secured in unique ways to protect them on the journey
- The number of people helping you (apart from us!)
- The distance between your old apartment and your new one — and traffic or weather conditions on roads in between
While the time needed can be longer than anticipated, you won’t much more than the quote; True North bills at 15-minute intervals, and we only do what you tell us. This helps you make an accurate moving budget and keep some peace-of-mind throughout your whole moving experience!